Secondary School English Tuition
How do we teach English lessons at illum.e?
English lessons are illum.e are carefully designed to provide students with key insights and strategies to quickly solve their language errors and build on their skills to immediately push students forward to improve to the next grade until they attain their deserved 'A'.
Expect multiple 'aha' moments of understanding in each lesson - all our students (yes, we ask and get feedback regularly), find a single weekly lesson at illum.e more impactful than months of English lessons and practice elsewhere.
What will a typical illum.e lesson look like?
Our expert and friendly trained tutors (who are award winning and published writers) begin lessons by introducing the specific skill and strategy of the lesson to the students, demonstrating to them how it works in enhancing various parts of their language skills. Next, students will engage in a series of curated tasks and receive immediate feedback from our tutors to ensure they meet the criteria for success. Students will then be exposed to similar tasks of higher difficulty as well as complementary skills to grow their English Mastery.
Why is illum.e's Secondary School English tuition the most sought after in Singapore?
Here at illum.e, our curriculum is carefully designed based on years of award winning educational research. We know that English skills are not taught in a vacuum and thus lessons will always deliberately 'zoom in' to smaller, finer skills on a micro basis, and 'zoom out' to larger, macro picture skills to illuminate your child towards excellence. Our curriculum, as of 2020, has already adapted and prepared students for the new Examination Syllabus in 2023.
We are results proven, with 90% of our students achieving an A or a 3-4 grade improvement after joining our lessons. Any student who has been through the illum.e experience knows that English lessons here are the most impactful, insightful and illuminating compared to anywhere else. Not only that, lessons at illum.e enable your child's English to be understandable, scalable, and finally, fun again. Read more of our student testimonials here!
- Key skills lectures and unique strategies on essential skills for writing well, such as how to describe vividly using 'Show not Tell' for specific writing scenarios within the literary genre inclusive of Situational Writing.
- In depth analysis of expositions and how to craft key foundational skills for discursive and argumentative writing to score, and be ready for the demands for General Paper.
- Insightful coverage of all essay genres to enable stuudents to tackle all approaches necessary, together with impactful highly-apt vocabulary words to ensure precision in connotation and increased language marks.
- Unique and scaffolded strategies for different formats and aspects of situational writing to ensure authentic and well-thought out essays which fit the demands of Purpose, Audience, Context and Culture.
- Carefully curated sample model essays and paragraphs to allow students to capture learning points and apply into writing
- Intensive application practices which reveal and enable students to connect the gaps between Reading and Writing different genres of writing.
- Key and foundational grammar skills inclusive of resolutions of common grammar mistakes inculcated to master editing and to enhance writing skills, not taught anywhere else.
- Specific step-by-step techniques with the most in-depth materials in the industry, with practices for varying question types to master how to answer comprehension questions, particularly more complex ones, successfully to write the most precise answers that attain full marks and to truly understand the passage.
- The most comprehensive formulaic scaffolds for various language techniques seen in question types, inclusive of thinking frames and impactful writing application practices to cement understanding.We go through the 8 types of Quote and Explain (Provide details and explain) Question, 16 Writers' Craft Techniques and 6 Unusual and Effective Questions, for example.
- Thematised Reading Analysis in conjunction with Paper 1 practices (based on content themes and genres) to understand the reading-writing connection.
- Key skills on how to read and annotate passages of varying genres succinctly and effectively to aid answering of comprehension questions and text-comprehension.
- Inculcation of contextual clues and analysis of texts for flowcharts and complex vocabulary questions.
- Targeted analysis of national examination papers and listening practices to ensure success in an increasingly difficult examination component.
- In-House curated Transcripts of National Examination papers, with key practices and applications
- Scaffolds and key strategies to eliminate and select the best answers.
- Listening tips and frameworks to score for the most difficult listening comprehension questions.
- Intensively researched content notes in every topic for interesting and well thought out answers in oral examinations as well as writing.We have 10 sets of specially curated and researched notes for students to provide insightful answers for all Oral Examination and Writing Topics in the O Levels.
- Key and specific pronunciation, enunciation, word stress, fluency and pitch tips and strategies to perfect your Reading
- Scaffolded thinking frames for well thought analysis for spoken interaction, together with brainstorming tools and answering techniques
- Rigourous multiple 1-1 practice and drills, including free consultations before examinations to make sure your child is ready to face the examiners and overcome any oral examination challenges.
The jump from primary to secondary school English, and even across levels can be rather steep and very daunting. Give your child the best chance of navigating this jump by joining illum.e today!
Our team of dedicated and passionate tutors are committed to assisting your child in developing the necessary skills, from comprehending concepts to producing accurate and quality answers that demonstrate critical thinking. We do an extensive scan of all school papers and national examinations to ensure our content is always rigourous and up to date.
Our English tuition classes are specialised for both IP and O / N Level programmes, and will teach your child important new comprehension skills such as how to rephrase answers in their own words, as well as provide them with a well-developed, structured approach to situational and continuous writing. all of which will undoubtedly assist your child in writing with greater nuance and complexity.
illum.e's English tuition lessons also focuses extensively on developing our students' oral presentation skills to ensure that they gain an upper hand for their oral examinations with regular drill sessions and our comprehensive content packages!
At illum.e English Tuition, we strive to give your child the best chance of success at the national examinations by filling the gaps in many school curricula that do not adequately teach essential skills. Join our tuition classes at illum.e today!
A list of the MOE syllabus can also be found on the MOE website, with downloadable 2020 syllabus located here. Alternatively, you may contact us for more details.
ASK US ANYTHING
Have questions on our tuition services? Drop us an enquiry and we will get back to you as soon as possible.