General Paper (GP) Tuition
The Result-Proven illum.e General Paper (GP) Tuition Programme
How do we teach General Paper (GP) at illum.e?
It's simple really - we demystify what seems to a challenging subject for our students to simply understand the requirements of GP, how to score and reflect critical thoughts in writing essays, application questions and answering comprehension questions!
Just ask any of our students - 100% of all our students, including trialists (we asked), understood GP better, and knew how to grow towards their 'A' after their first lesson, or first thematic module with us! Most importantly, students start to enjoy and love GP just like we do!
What do General Paper (GP) tuition tutorials at illum.e look like?
In a word, 'impactful'.
Our highly trained and friendly tutors begin by introducing select skills and strategies to the class, then, students will be engaged on a series of curated tasks, receiving immediate feedback from our tutors to close any learning gaps. The tasks are specially designed to emulate select key skills and steps they will also perform in any GP examination, and are backed by rigourous educational research and experts in education.
Lessons will thus always see a fine balance between bursts of sagely illum.e-unique strategies, and high buzz intellectual discussions between tutors and students. Multiple audible 'aha' outbursts of illumination are to be expected.
Why is illum.e's GP tuition the most sought after in Singapore?
Not only are we results proven, with 95% achieving A-B in 2021 for National Examinations, any student at illum.e will know that the GP lessons here are more insightful, engaging, fun and illuminating compared to lessons at other centres, or in school.
illum.e is also the first and only GP tuition centre in Singapore offering mock examinations, with rigorously set in-house examination papers in order to truly help our students hit the benchmark for national examinations. All papers are thus also double or triple marked by our highly qualified tutors.
Read more below to find out more about our targeted skills and strategies!
Exam Paper 1
- Understand the 16 different question types that anchor all GP Essay Papers, including the key steps and strategies, structures and thinking frames to use in order to achieve your maximum content marks,
- Comprehensive and updated topical question lists from schools and A levels,
- Thoroughly researched content notes constantly updated to help students study smart, providing a convincing array of arguments and examples which are the most concise and researched notes available,
- Well developed in house essay plans offering dissection of question analysis, lines of debate with case studies and higher level arguments
- Higher level nuances, theories and philosophies for discerning students looking to pursue top percentile essays,
- In-depth skills notes to understand question requirements and rhetorical strategies to deepen and gerrymander examples,
- Effective analysis techniques and micro-writing application,
- Scaffolded evaluative strategies teaching you how to evaluate on a macro (essay-wide) or micro (intra-paragraph) scale to attain that coveted 'A',
- Close mentoring, monitoring, feedback and assessment with structured consults to diagnose and improve your writing skills.
Here's an example of the feedback we give our GP students!
Exam Paper 2
- Customised 3-step thinking approaches to attaining correct word for word or sense for sense paraphrasing (scoring 7-8 for summary is the minimum mark at illum.e),
- Comprehensive and updated scaffolds and answering techniques to systematically perfect answers to all question types - Understand how to master the 19 types of Writer's Craft and Purpose elements - illum.e has the most comprehensive Comprehension notes for sure,
- Thorough analysis and annotation of texts to dissect Paper 2 passages and select the best Application Question arguments, together with rigourous skill notes examining different structures and answers,
- Strategies and techniques for mastering subtle contextual clues and rhetoric in passages,
- Personalised approach to evaluating comprehension responses to understand gaps in learning,
- Investigation of local contexts for illustration in Application Questions (we give a 60 page SG examples list).
Lesson 1 - Paper 1: Content Lectures and Consultations
Lesson 2 - Paper 1: Content Review and Skills Application Tutorials
Lesson 3 - Paper 2: AQ Reading and Analysis, UYOWAFAP/Summary
Lesson 4 - Paper 2: Paper 2 Question Types and Strategies, Paper 1 & 2: Review of Application
Results for 2021 A Levels
Not sure where and how to find content? Don't know what to write for General Paper (GP)?
Fret not, as you will be equipped with all the necessary knowledge and insights through our content lectures. Our GP notes will prepare you for popular A level GP questions (e.g. Science and Technology, The Media) as well as those you may feel intimidated by (e.g. Democracy and Governance, International Relations). We keep up with global trends and developments, updating our notes on a regular basis to ensure that you are well prepared for current A level GP topics. You can read more about our other post we covered on "3 Ways you should practice for General Paper" here.
Our strong and experienced team of tutors will follow up during our tutorial lessons to reinforce and apply what you've learned, guiding you step by step through a focus on both macro (essay-wide) and micro (intra-paragraph) evaluative techniques to help you achieve deeper evaluation and illumination in your writing. You will be taught to write persuasive, balanced GP essays by developing a strong understanding of question requirements and skills required such as the use of rhetorical strategies.
Short-answer questions, on the other hand, are all about recognising question types and deploying the right answering techniques. At illum.e GP Tuition, we teach our students to recognise and approach every type of question in a systematic manner. You will hone your sensitivity to subtle contextual clues and nuances in writing as a result of the extensive practices provided, allowing you to craft the most accurate answers to the questions.
The secret to answering the dreaded Application Question (AQ), on the other hand, is to identify key points from the passage and apply them to the local context. At illum.e GP Tuition, our tutors will guide you through the entire process so that you can confidently approach the AQ. You will also be well-supported by our content and skills notes, which contain extensive investigation of the local context for popular A level GP topics coupled with a whole range of evaluative tools to tackle the AQ well.
Time and time again, A level GP has proven to be a challenge for many JC students. Knowledge, skills, and feedback to improve your work are all vital in preparing for and excelling in GP. At illum.e, rest assured that help is always one step away with 24/7 consultations available to ensure that you are aware of your writing strengths and areas for improvement. Join us today and enjoy studying for GP with illum.e!
A downloadable General Paper A-Level H1 for 2022 syllabus from SEAB can be found here. Alternatively, you may contact us for more details.
ASK US ANYTHING
Have questions on our tuition services? Drop us an enquiry and we will get back to you as soon as possible.